Rich in Art, Rich in Humanity
The value of an arts education is well known: It fosters collaboration, creative thinking, and presentation skills. Its deepest value, perhaps, is how the arts can deepen our compassion for each other and our confidence in ourselves.
“Since I’ve been at Salem, I’ve become much more confident and capable. I learned how to take risks, like joining theater. It was all new and the old me would have been too scared, but at Salem I knew nothing could go wrong. There’s a freedom in trying new things when you know you’ll be supported.”
Emma Shelby ‘21
Prepare to Play!
The arts are core to Salem’s programming, featured in both its curriculum and student activities.
The Fine Arts department offers extensive courses in
- Theater: Introductory and advanced courses all 4 years
- Visual Arts: Courses in 2-D & 3-D design, drawing, art criticism, advanced studio, plus 3 AP courses!
- Music: Study music theory, choral singing, and take private music lessons at the Community Music School Salem College.
Student Activities in the Arts
- Theater: 2 mainstage productions each year performed in the Drama Workshop in Elberson Fine Arts Center
- Visual Arts: Student exhibitions in the Elberson Fine Arts Center — 2x per year!
- Music: Perform in Chorus, Glee Club, and Spirit Ensemble events — on and off campus
- Dance: Participate in Dance Repertory! Learn ballet, jazz, modern dance & perform